Saturday, June 13, 2009

Weddings, kinda like marathons

I'm pretty sure that I can say NYC training started last weekend, because I was in recovery all week. Wedding weekends are truly endurance events.

...travel, and friends....late nights and early mornings....checklists to complete and logistics to work out....and grand finales that are always amazing, emotional, and cause for celebration.

Things got started Monday and didn't let up until sometime around 9pm on Sunday. Although somewhere around 12:30am Saturday I hit the proverbial "mile 17" -- THE WALL; the point in a marathon where your ability to control your emotions and have rational internal dialogue goes completely out the window, the point at which you seriously question your ability to physically continue to put one foot in front of the other for the remaining 9.2 miles. And in similar fashion, after consecutive days of sleep deprivation and wedding-related socialization I questioned my ability to continue to remain upright and carry on coherent conversation and made a hasty retreat from the party to the comfort of my bed.

But the blood, sweat and tears were all worth it. It was a fun, fabulous week; a series of celebrations, that were enjoyed as much by the couple as by the guests they invited to share the occasion with. With big smiles all around at the "finish line."

No comments: