Thursday, October 2, 2008

Speed -- in black and white

OK. I'm going to put this out there just to keep it all 100% real here.

Here are the times from my second (ever, probably -- or at least in the last decade) speed workout. This blog is no gimmick people. I am slow. Here is the proof....
  • about a mile warm up
  • 4x400 w/2:00 rest---
  • time - pace
    1:58 - 7:56
    2:07 - 8:28
    2:09 - 8:36
    2:10 - 8:40
  • 1 mile cool down at roughly 9:30 pace.
I'm not going to pretend I really understand everything that the numbers mean, although I'm pretty sure they confirm I'm not going to be making the Olympic team anytime soon. But these numbers are encouraging in a couple of ways,

1. They prove that I can run at my goal pace.

2. Even my cool down is already faster than my last race pace, so improvement is possible.

3. Hitting these numbers felt slightly less horrible than what I did last week (which was not on the track so I don't have exact numbers, but the workout was roughly the same), which is encouraging.

The run is by far my weakest link in triathlon (well, aside from the swim but that's a mental issue not a physical one), which means its where I have the most room for improvement. So that's where I'm going to be putting my efforts this off-season. Hopefully it will pay off come spring.

No comments: