Sunday, March 28, 2010

A little taste of home


Change can be fun and exciting, but there's a lot to love about the familiar.  About people who know you.  Who don't need explanations when you tell stories because you share a common history.  People who don't mind if you let your guard down and show the real you.  People who've seen you in spandex, and without makeup......

Like change is necessary for renewal and perspective, I think so is a return to where you've been and what you know.

After three months in the mountains living my crazy dream, a few visitors breezed into town and brought a little piece of my former life with them.  A life shared shared biking the country roads of southwest Wisconsin, sweating, freezing, chatting, and in the process learning about ourselves and each other.


Nothing had changed but geography.  Backcountry roads were just replaced with ski runs.  Mid-ride snack breaks became mid-mountain warming huts.  Limits were still pushed, muscles tested, and little pieces of our lives were shared.

Wherever I end up, I have been lucky to share the road that led me there with some really great people.  And for that I am thankful.

No comments: