Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Quiet Christmas

I did laundry.  I reheated Chicken Spaghetti.  I watched two movies.  Pretty quiet Christmas.  But that's OK.  Its a choice.  I made the choice to be here in this crazy little isolated mountain town and this is exactly where I want to be.  But today, if someone could have magically transported me home for a couple hours I would've been all over it.

There were no homemade sticky rolls for breakfast this year.  No Swedish overnight cookies to snack on (which must be some sort of family secret because I couldn't find a link to a recipe on the internet).  No Tom and Jerry's.  No brandy, period.  (What?!  'Sconnie girl celebrates Christmas without brandy?)

But even miles from family, and the creature comforts of my family's nordic Christmas traditions, I still somehow feel spoiled, and loved, and so very lucky.  What more could a girl ask for?  I must have been a very good girl this year because Santa clearly brought me the best stuff on earth; the love of friends and family, a healthy and able (if somewhat slow) body, endless opportunity, and mountains.

I hope santa was as good to all of you.  Merry Christmas.