Friday, November 6, 2009

Stairs, chairs, and other brutal torture devices...



I can totally relate to this, but I'm happy to report that a mere five days after the marathon I am feeling remarkably good. No soreness left in my legs, however I still get an instant side-ache just walking across the street. Not sure what's up with that but I'm guessing it has something to do with why I felt like I was going to upchuck all my stomach contents (you know, all four packets of Gu) from about mile 15 on during the race.

In fact, I'm feeling so great that I almost feel like running?! Really. I do. I worked this hard to get to this fitness level and I don't want to lose it. Because those "off the couch" first workouts were HARD. Its one thing to have a hard 10k workout, but a hard 2-3 miles? No thank you. I'll do everything in my power not to go back to that again.

And speaking of hard, I've been reading some race reports and it seems I wasn't the only one out there on Sunday having an unexpectedly challenging day. I knew I would hit the wall. I did not think it would be at mile 14. Yet it seems that's where a lot of people struggled in NY this year. So while having company in misery (or mistakes) doesn't change things, it does make me feel less self-critical about my race and shifts the focus back toward the accomplishment and away from the "if only" list.

And so with that I'm off to spend some well-deserved downtime with some of my favorite (and longest-standing) partners in crime. The four of us togther again means trouble in the best possible way, and I couldn't be more excited. Happy weekend!

No comments: