Friday, July 18, 2008

Doesn't that look "fun"?

These things always look so good on paper. But then its event-eve and I'm trying to pack thinking "exactly what part of this did I think would be fun?"

This is another classic example. Two days of biking. 150 miles from Milwaukee to Sturgeon Bay. Camping on Lake Michigan along the way.

OK, I'll admit that in a romantic sense it seems like fun. Can't you just picture the glossy flier...jovial cyclists all easily rolling along...laughing, enjoying the scenery, making new friends, not a bead of sweat to be found.

But here's how the situation looks mere hours before the event:
  • Delusional cyclist hasn't really been training. Has only done one ride over 50 miles this year. And just came off a 10-day vacation. (Hmmm....in the flier everyone looked so fit and happy?)
  • The weather is predicted to include oppressive heat, suffocating humidity, and thunderstorms. (where's the sunshine and 70 degrees from the flier?)
  • Less-than-enthused and under trained cyclist will be sleeping on the floor of a hotel room she's sharing with three other people the night before the ride. (This was definitely not in the flier.)

Moral of the story: Never believe the promotional material. PR people lie.

The good news is that I've managed to convince someone else that this looked like fun too, (the benefits of peer pressure!) so I will not be suffering alone. Then again, she is the same friend that emailed to see if I was opting for the century on day one. -- uh, no thanks. 150 miles in one weekend will be plenty. --

So kick back and have a beer for me this weekend while I roast on the pavement of Wisconsin's back country roads. If I'm not back Monday will someone come peel me off the road where I melted into a puddle of goo before another thunderstorm washes me away forever. Thanks. :)

No comments: