Thursday, April 10, 2008

Post-vacation adjustment period

The first week back in the real world wasn't really all that bad, thanks to some spring weather on the home front (finally!).


Wednesday - First glorious outdoor run of the season! Went 4.75 miles and felt like a total rockstar about it. I never want to see the treadmill again.

Friday - Another lovely outdoor run. Perfect, perfect running day. 60 degrees with the sun shining. Too bad this run didn't go quite like the last. I felt pretty wiped out by the whole thing. But got in 5.25 miles. Not so terrible. I have a feeling we pushed the pace a little more on this run. And the long week was probably catching up with me. Our flight Monday got delayed and we didn't get home until 2am. I think I was trying to play catch up on the sleep all week.


Saturday - First outdoor bike ride!! A nice 44-miler. A little windy and a little hilly but nothing too bad. It was so nice to be out on the road. By the end of the ride I was feeling the fatigue in my back and shoulders, but it felt good! I rewarded myself with a big fat two hour nap when I got home. What a perfect start to the weekend.


Sunday - I think that fatigue caught up with me. I was wiped Sunday. And the knee that had been bothering me on the hills, was now really hurting. I decided this seemed like a good recipe for a rest day.

Monday - Nice little 35 minute swim. I haven't been in the pool in quite a while and I was feeling it. Not that I got really tired, just that I couldn't quite find a good flow to my stroke. Things just didn't click. But the water felt good on the legs.

Tuesday - Pilates/yoga class at the gym. They call it "Fuzion". I don't understand the need for the "z", but whatever. Not strenuous but a really great stretch. This instructor seemed to be more pilates based. Which was good because I was squeezing this in at lunch and that way I didn't sweat too much. I've taken this class with other instructors and thought my limbs were going to fall off.

Wednesday - 30 mile post-work bike ride. It wasn't as warm as I had hoped (high of 48 during the day). And temps dropped quickly through the ride. So this ended up to be a pretty painful 30 miles. I didn't get really cold until I'd been home for about 10 minutes; then I couldn't stop shivering. I think it took me that long to thaw out and realize how cold I was. Then after throwing on a fleece hat, hooded sweatshirt, and crawling under a down comforter, I also got really hungry. I ended up eating a full pasta order from Noodles and was feeling a little guilty about it until I went to caloriesperhour.com and realized that I burned at least 1100 calories. Sweet. Love biking. Love it. Not loving the persistent knee pain, but I'll whine about that later....

2 comments:

twiceknit said...

Welcome back to you, too! It's funny, most people would be recovering from vacation antics of the not-so-healthy kind. I'm in awe of you. I can't even run around the block!

twiceknit said...

Love the blog name, by the way!