Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I didn't really sign up for this part

You know how sometimes you register for something thinking it sounds like a good idea at the time...you know, from the comfy, climate-controlled, cushy couch cushion you're probably sitting on when you hit the button to register online?  But you have the week/month from hell leading up to the event, you're under-trained and over-tired, you manage to drag yourself there anyway because hey, you already paid....and then mother nature unleashes her fury in some form or another and you're thinking really....really, I paid for this?  This was not in the brochure.

Well I kinda feel like that right now.  I was all about this mountain town thing until this....until a bear just marched right up onto my patio, through the yard, and across the street in front of the house.

I mean, I get it.  There are bears around.  I know when I'm out hiking I'm in THEIR territory.  Its cool.  But when you are standing on your deck watching one just amble around on your patio and then head off down the rock path through your yard like he's out for a Sunday stroll...well, it just gets a mountain girl a little uneasy, you know?


(yes, fuzzy photo, but I assure you this is most definitely a bear.  on my patio.  at 8:30PM tonight.)

This was not the race I signed up for.  Nowhere did it say that on my quaint little 5 minute commute home at night I might encounter a big furry mammal who may or may not think I look like a fun little chew toy.  I've heard rumor of the potential but now I have seen the tall tale come to life.

Where's the race director for this mountain Ironman I seem to be living?  I want my money back.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

OMG!!! That is insane! I really must visit before you leave...